Thursday, September 16, 2010

Fridayyyyyy

Not that it means anything. We have class until next Thursday. I miss weekends. This week we visited both a Maasai and an Iraqw "boma". At the Maasai one, the ladies sang some songs for us and we got to see inside their huts and they answered our questions. It's such a different life from what I've ever experienced. It really goes to show how we don't need most of the things we have. At the Iraqw boma, a guy explained how they make pottery, beer, houses, baskets, and wedding skirts. Then we got to dance with them. It's interesting to see the differences between the tribes.
Yesterday we went to the local secondary school graduation ceremony in Rhotia, the neighboring town. It was in a big building made of cement and wood, without a floor or glass in the windows. We listened to some long speeches in Swahili, out of which I would pick out an occasional Mmarekani (American) or moji (one), mbili (two), etc... There was some nice singing and dancing as well. I find their harmonies beautiful. I always try to see if I can pin time signatures on the songs, but I usually fail.
They've been keeping us very busy, as usual. Classes throughout the day, meals, readings, and homework have received the bulk of my time. There's not really any alone time, either, which I am not used to. There are always people everywhere. Overall it's been a good time.
Plans for climbing Kilimanjaro after the program may be developing. A friend Katie has a trip all planned out and it would be pretty easy to add more people. So that may happen.
Time for class! Kwaheri

1 comment:

  1. You should learn African songs and teach me when you get back. :)

    ReplyDelete